Monday, June 9, 2008

Muscial Monday (18/50)

Thursday is late night shopping here in the semi-great metropolis on the western half of the sunburnt country. This means that the shops are open until the un-godly hour of 9:00pm instead of the normal 5:30pm. What this means for most of this fair city’s citizens is the only chance to do some serious shopping. For me, this means a sneak into my favourite DVD store.

This DVD store, in the outer working class suburbs, never fails to be fully stocked on musicals and Hollywood classics (a task most DVD stores in the gayer than gay inner city fail to achieve).

This last outing proved an especially good journey for me as I found some long sought after Judy Garland musicals, as well as the movie version of Hair, and the Tim Burton version of Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

I once saw the PBS recording of Sweeney Todd with Angela Lansbury and a community theatre production. I love this musical; I love its dark quirkiness and stunning melodies, particularly “Joanna” and “Not While I’m Around”. Plus I love any musical that can combine brutal murders and somehow flawlessly works in the word ‘shit’ into at least one of its songs.

I try very hard to write reviews of movies, but they always turn out to read more like a synopsis. So I will give you my opinions in fast, efficient bulletpoints:

Ø Johnny Depp’s vocal are surprising
Ø I can’t understand anything Helena Bonham Carter says (never could and I doubt I ever will.
Ø Visually stunning
Ø Very moody (in a good way)
Ø Quick to set the scene, but slow to get to point.
Ø Made me want to learn how to make traditional meat pies minus the cock roaches and you know, human body parts.

Was this the lamest post ever? I sincerely apologise.

No comments: