Thursday, July 17, 2008

Musical Monday (DELAYED)

One of the reasons I love musicals is for the inspiration the music brings to me. I would like to share with you the top musical numbers that make me feel good, remind me who I am, follow my heart and never let go of my dreams.

Light the lights! Let's take a look at my:

TOP TEN INSPIRATIONAL SONGS FROM MUSICALS

10. Oh! What a Beautiful Morning (Oklahoma!) - I hate mornings. Listening to the song I am almost convinced that "Yes! Mornings are beautiful! Let's get out and enjoy this wonderful day!" This song makes number 10 because its inspiration wears off after your first cup of coffee.

9. Defying Gravity (Wicked) - So totally a song about the effects of being scorned. But like the great Chicago Fire, once burned we build ourselves up even better and stronger than before.

8. We Need a Little Christmas (Mame) - Who doesn't need a little Christmas? Does that make me a bad Jew? When feeling down, do something that makes you happy. In this case, it is celebrating Christmas early... I get the same effect by a new pair of Prada shoes.

7. Some People (Gypsy) - One of the greatest songs from one of the greatest musicals. Mama Rose reminds us that if we want something from life, then we need to get out and do it.

6. Put on Your Sunday Clothes (Hello, Dolly!) - Get dressed and get out (in that order, please).

5. Climb Ev'ry Mountain (Sound of Music) - Honestly, this song does nothing for me. I felt that I had to put it on the list or reap the wrath of Julie Andrews-ites.

4. Being Alive (Company) - I really do not want anyone to sit in my chair, but the point is to experience life and to live see the whole picture of being in love and being alive.

3. Don't Rain on My Parade (Funny Girl) - We only have one life to live so follow your dreams. If you fail, at least you tried. No regrets.

2. That Day After That (Kiss of the Spider Woman) - One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. It is difficult to free yourself from the grips of a depressive episode or an undesired situation. We are reminded that you have to keep faith because one day you will be free. In the words of a legend far greater than me, This too shall pass.

1. I Am What I Am (La Cage aux Folles) - In this age of mass media, fingertip marketing and idolization, it is easy for us to become engulfed in living in a mimicked version of what a public relations executive considers ideal. We need to allow ourselves to be who we are. Stand up proud and walk in confidence that we are all created exactly as we were meant to be.

No comments: