Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WILD BUSHFIRES... AND NO, JASON, THAT IS NOT WHAT I MEAN BY "BUSH"

At least one two of you is are concerned for my safety during the deadly and horrific bushfire that is raging down this way.

While I only wish that I had a bushfire as an excuse for not updating very much this past week, I am on the opposite side of the county as the Victorian Bushfire. So I will take this opportunity to give you a quick Down Under Geography Lesson.

This is Australia:




As you can see, Australia consists of 6 states (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia & Western Australia) and two territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory, bka A.C.T).

The deadly bushfire everyone is hearing about on the news is located in the state of Victoria. On the map, if you look on the bottom right hand corner of Australia and find the city of Melbourne, the fires are located in the region.

Here is a close-up:




If you once again refer to the complete map of Australia, I am located in Perth which is in the state of Western Australia, which is the entire left half of the country/continent.

Oh, and while we are still on maps, if you are travelling down here and someone asks to see your map of Tasmania, they do not mean this:



They mean this.

No comments: