Friday, September 11, 2009

HEY, MICKEY!

I teach "mature" adult education courses.

I cannot really explain how I got involved with this part of my career as it really has nothing to do with any role I have had in the past, I think it had something to do being bribed by homemade shortbread cookies.

This teaching experience has introduced me to, how can I say, some of the most awful people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We won't focus on them now,in the scheme of life, they don't matter.

Instead let's talk about the ray of sunshine that appeared in my classroom. The current semester has brought me one of the most fabulous people I have ever met. Everyone in class hates her, but that is why I like her.

Her name is Mickey. She is around 85 years old, wears only pink hats with roses, pink gloves, bright pink blush, blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick. Last week, she was carrying around a coffee mug full of lavender she picked from some one's garden.

I was 10 minutes into the lesson when she walked in the room and said, "Sorry I'm late. I've been so goddamn sick."

Did I mention that this particular semester is being held in a church?

After class, she pulled me aside to give me this advice, "Why are you doing these classes? You have volunteered yourself to help the community... You're an asshole! Why would you do such a thing?"

"You have become a slave to these commitments. I am a butterfly that floats on the winds of life. There are people who like to pull the wings off of butterflies, but fuck 'em."

How true.

No comments: